Thursday, July 28, 2011

Changing THEN by changing NOW.

"Let not the wise man boast in his wisdom, let not the mighty man boast in his might, let not the rich man boast in his riches, but let him who boasts boast in this, that he understands and knows me, that I am the Lord who practices steadfast love, justice, and righteousness in the earth. For in these things I delight, declares the Lord."  Jeremiah 9:23-24


My YouVersion devotion talked about how when it comes to people we tend to admire strength and power, human wisdom, wealth and riches, and kindness. Well, it went on to say, "But God puts a higher priority on knowing him personally and living a life that reflects his justice and righteousness." The last thing it says is a posed question: What do you want people to admire most about you? The question really made me think. First, what does admire by definition mean?

  1. to regard with pleasure or approval
  2. to respect
Well then what about regard?

  1. to look upon in a particular way
  2. to respect
  3. to look at
  4. to concern
That doesn't look so hard to fully grasp... what do I want people to respect me for... besides just for being a person? and really the question demands some level of either confidence or goal setting, possibly both because having room to improve is usually a set-up for a goal to be set with a desire for that goal to be reached.


So reigning in thoughts, keeping them on the smaller scale grid of 'what do I want to be admired for' now and not to the outside far edges of the grid of 'leaving a legacy,' and what do I want to be admired, respected, or remembered for is quite a task as I have and am continually learning that  though THEN matters, NOW is very important for the simple thought that my THEN depends on my NOW-- THEN is effected by what I do NOW. [Run-on sentence or just really long? Who knows...] 


Nevertheless, I shall answer the question. FINALLY. I want to be admired for the everyday small things, like finding joy in storms... smiling even when life is hard. I want to be admired for having an unshakable faith and a trust in God that withstands trials and hardships. I want to be admired for genuinely loving and caring for not only those who have captured my heart or he my heart loves deepest aside from my heavenly Father but for people in general, for taking the time to care for people. I want to be respected for being a gracious, confident woman who desires not to make anyone ever feel inferior but to encourage others to their own discovery of self-confidence. I want to be respected for never giving up, for falling and standing back up, for standing for what I believe in. But most of all I want people to admire me for having a heart that longs to please the heart of my Father by living life day to day pointing others to the ultimate reason for smiling, loving, laughing, for longing to make His heart smile. But even more I want to be moved by what moves Him, to be in sync.


Now, by no means has all of this has been attained but it is attainable. An opportunity has been made available to set goals, to change mindsets, to decide to change and alter THEN by changing NOW. Life happens a day at a time which consists of life changing moments second to second, minute to minute, and hour to hour. To be admired, one must be admirable. To be admirable, one must be willing at times to change and make a change.  :)

No comments:

Post a Comment